You certainly already know that Gmail and Yahoo are the two largest free email providers in the world until now. One reason that makes them popular is because they provide email storage capacity in a large space. You don’t need to pay an extra cost to use their tools including advanced features like webmail, SMTP (outgoing mail), POP3 (incoming mail), and android application.
But when you have decided to buy a paid domain with the intention to build your own brand image, you are advised to also use the email tools on your domain account that usually provided as a part or additional feature of your domain sales package.
To create a new email account like “firstname.lastname@example.org” and how to integrate with Gmail, you can follow the steps below :
- Go to your domain cPanel which you can manage your domain.
- Create your new email account by accessing “Email – Account” menu. Choose a specific one which reflects on your personal or official business. Typically you will create “email@example.com”, “firstname.lastname@example.org”, etc.
- Choose your default webmail application : Horde, Roundcube, or SquirrelMail. In this example, I choose Horde as my default email application.
- Try to access your email account on first time by typing “http://webmail.yourdomain.com” at your browser. Note : Enter the full account name “email@example.com” (including @yourdomain.com) in the username box and your password in the password box.
- Test your email application by sending an email to your existing email account like Gmail or Yahoo. If your email has been successfully sent, it means that your webmail application has been able to function properly.
- Now try to setup “Email Forwarding” on your domain by accessing “Email – Forwarders” menu. There are 2 (two) option : “Email Account Forwarders” and “Forward All Email for a Domain”. In my case, I choose “Email Account Forwarder” because I only want to make sure that the copy of incoming emails can be received at the same time from my domain to my Gmail account. Click “Add Forwarder” button to process it.
- Fill in below “Address” by the username of your domain and “Destination” by your existing Gmail account. Click “Add Forwarder” button once you finish this section. A new successful message will appear, “All email sent to “firstname.lastname@example.org” will now be copied to “email@example.com”.
- Try to send an example message from other email accounts to “firstname.lastname@example.org” and check whether a copied message with the same subject and content will deliver to your Gmail.
With this method, you only need to open your Gmail email without the need to enter your hosting account email every time. The free version of Gmail email storage capacity will give you a quite large (15 GB) so you don’t need to worry about lack of space to store, open and send emails and attachments.